Saturday 16 February 2013

St. Valentine's day at the university

As mentioned in the previous post, on the 14th February I participated in a Valentine's day celebration at the foreign languages department at the university of Balti. The main programme was similar to what we had done the previous days at a further education college and a school, except that because this was the language department at the university the message about God's love as opposed to the passion promoted by Valentine's day was a bit more direct and also they wanted things to be in English as much as possible. So I gave my short talk about English traditions connected to Valentine's day in English without translation. I wasn't exactly sure if people were following what I was saying, judging by some blank looks in my direction, but they seemed at least to appreciate the opportunity to hear some 'London English pronunciations' and at the end of the meeting I saw that a number of people came forward to leave contact details. One idea for follow up would be to try and organise and invite people to an English themed evening. Here are some photos;

No comments: